Ontario health curriculum may go ahead, minus sex ed changes
Ontario's new health curriculum may be going ahead in September 2010, said Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty on Tuesday -- everything, except for the proposed new sex ed guidelines.
"There are 12 subject areas within health and phys-ed. One of those is sex-ed. The 11 other areas are not controversial in any way," McGuinty said, referring to sections dealing with smoking, healthy eating, and injury prevention, among others.
"We've done a lot of good work we can, in fact, build on and I think we can find a way to introduce much of that into the curriculum this September so it has not been for naught."
Let the education minister know that we want the Ontario sex ed curriculum implemented as originally proposed, no less! Get a form letter here and send it to Dombrowsky:
Ministry of Education
22nd Floor, Mowat Block
900 Bay Street
Toronto ON M7A 1L2
Tel : 416-325-2600
Fax : 416-325-2608
Meanwhile, Facebook groups in support of the 2010 sex ed guidelines have over 2,500 members each:
- Sex ed fail 'at the feet of the Premier': Ontario NDP
- McGuinty reversal ignores realities of today's families
- More groups endorse Ontario's 2010 sex ed plan
- Glen Murray supports 2010 sex ed guidelines, asks for more time
- McGuinty shelves plan to update Ontario's sex ed curriculum
- Christian right plans to protest Ontario's sexual education guidelines